According to various medical studies of obese patients, about 95% of these individuals require a more drastic, surgical intervention to achieve their weight loss goals.
If you are one of these patients, and you are interested in lap band surgery to help with your weight, you will need to find a top bariatric surgeon to perform this surgery.
Finding a qualified and skilled bariatric surgeon for lap band surgery isn’t always easy. There are many things to be considered to find the right surgeon for you. Here are a few tips and things to consider when searching for the right bariatric surgeon for you:
Is your bariatric surgeon trained specifically for bariatric medicine and surgery?
Bariatric training is completed during a hospital residency program. Training involves health treatment, preventative methods, and surgical procedures. Many bariatric doctors find it beneficial to study all three areas of bariatric medicine, but be very sure that your doctor concentrated his or her studies on the surgical procedures involved, which include lap band surgery.
After your doctor has completed his or her hospital residency, he or she will then need to have passed the global credentialing requirements of the bariatric medicine licensing board. The requirements are:
- Have credentials at a qualified hospital or facility that performs the lap band surgery you are seeking.
- Working with a program for the care of the patient that provides other services like nursing care, dietary aid, counseling and therapy, and other assistance if needed.
- There is a plan to prevent, watch, and help in any short or long-term complications that may arise.
- Be able to confirm that there is a plan to help and offer aftercare for the patients after surgery. Follow-up visits need to be supervised by a qualified bariatric surgeon. While the bariatric surgeon cannot guarantee that patients will follow their aftercare recommendations, they need to document that they gave them the adequate information to succeed after lap band surgery.
- Perform at least 15 successful procedures to qualify to become a bariatric surgeon. A successful procedure includes pre- and postoperative management, as well as direct surgical experience performed under the close watch of a successful and knowledgeable bariatric surgeon.
Ask your potential surgeon if he or she meets these global credentialing requirements for bariatric surgery so that you will have the utmost medical care while undergoing this surgery.
Is the location of the practice and hospital of where your surgeon operates from important to you? Do you want a close proximity to your home, or would you rather travel a bit farther if you find a bariatric surgeon that you feel more comfortable with? Sydney is a very large city, and has a variety of bariatric surgeons and practices throughout its entirety, so that you will likely be rest assured to find a bariatric surgeon that is convenient for you, no matter where you reside in Sydney, and that you also feel is qualified to help you with your lap band surgery.
When embarking on a journey for lap band surgery, it is imperative that you find a kind, compassionate, and caring surgeon that is aware of your needs, and who makes you feel safe and comfortable. No type of surgery is ever easy or fun, and lap band surgery requires not just a skilled and proficient surgeon who is qualified to perform the procedure, but also a surgeon that has a warm and inviting manner and who is understanding, gentle, and kind, while he or she helps you through the process of lap band surgery.
When searching for the right lap band surgery in Sydney, make sure to talk to your surgeon about your needs and expectations, and also make sure that he or she treats you with dignity, respect, and kindness, so that you can be at peace and feel rest assured that you are in the right hands of an all-around qualified bariatric surgeon in Sydney.
Because of the wide selection of qualified, kind, and skilled bariatric surgeons in Sydney, getting lap band surgery here does not have to be difficult or arduous, though it can seem a little daunting at first. With a little bit of research, you can find a bariatric surgeon that possesses the right credentials, has training in bariatric surgery, and is a successful doctor with many successful surgeries under his or her belt with happy and relieved past patients. Because Sydney also boasts a large selection of skilled bariatric surgeons, you can also likely find a surgeon and hospital near the comfort of your home, for easy commuting. Lap band surgery doesn’t have to be as scary and overwhelming, as it may seem with the skilled and kind surgeons located right here in Sydney.